Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Race against Time

I respect the young driver of the bus, which took me from Kodungallur to Eranakulam (both places in Kerala). Not just because he was elder than me, but because he made me realise what ‘SPEED’ driving is. He indeed brought my world of virtual racing to reality. His race was not against fellow drivers on road, but against time. I realised that the bus was running late when I observed the hurry-burry. I am not sure if it was his fault or machine fault for the bus running late. (Luckily, I got the seat nearby the driver; I could observe his actions and reactions.) He exhibited his entire skills including drifts using the bus!

To my knowledge of the places I have visited, I found Kerala and especially that route I travelled; to be full of the most sharpest and dangerous curves (even ‘S’ turns). You will never know who is coming on the other side. Every corner has shops or walls that block our view. That dude, manoeuvred his ultimate vehicle with ease and with slightest thought of danger (I felt so). With efficient use of brake, clutch and accelerator, he took us to our destination in record time and kept his vehicle unscathed. (I should mention that the narrow roads were crowded with other motorists.

It looked as if the vehicles coming the other way were going under the bus. Such driving, I believe, is possible by only the one who has perfect and natural knowledge of the vehicles mechanism and its dimensions. After reaching the end of the ride, he looked at his wrist watch and heaved a sigh of relief. Then, he looked up out of the window as if thanking God Almighty. One thing for sure, I am never gonna try that on road!


No comments: